What’s in a name?

It’s a funny old thing, choosing a title to be known as ‘online’, a kind of pseudonym, a mask, a pretence? It’s quite a commitment. When I step into my Alice in Scandiland shoes I become someone who may actually know a little about something, people seem to want to listen, to see what I can do and that’s a lovely thing.

But sometimes I feel like this title wasn’t really born from a true part of me, more a coincidence of names. I’m Alice, a name I have often thought doesn’t really fit me as a person, and let’s be honest, my style is not all that Scandi, it it?!

Yes there are “Scandi” elements to what I do in my home, but I think that word has kind of steamrolled into a whole new stratosphere over the past year and I’m pretty sure I’m not up there with it.

I prefer to think of myself as influenced by Scandinavian/ Nordic design and I definitely aspire to many aspects of the lifestyle. But there are other elements of my interiors taste that lead to twists and turns in my style, I can’t put a term to it, I shouldn’t need to really.

So I guess I have to figure out whether I can learn to love my blog name, after all, it’s given me quite a lot since I began, it’s won me awards, given me a platform to work and meet with some wonderful brands and people, it rolls off the tongue with relative ease. Perhaps I just have to weather the storm and see if it still feels relevant and more fitting for me once the highstreet take on this ‘trend’ has died down, as it’s sure to do.

Please don’t take this as a criticism of anyone/ anything that identifies as Scandi, it is not meant that way, I guess what I’m trying to say is sometimes I feel like I’ve filed myself into pigeon hole, too specific, I worry that people may think it’s odd when they read my work and don’t think it quite fits.

Anyway, I wanted to get some of my feelings down, I’ve had them a fair old while, but it helps me to process the jumble of thoughts in my head a little better if I write it down, put it out there.

What do you think oh lovely reader people? I truly value your opinions x

18 Comments Add yours

1. Zoe says:

I love what you do. You’re honest about it and nothing feels forced with your content. Please keep doing what you’re doing and do consider the shop idea. Don’t twist yourself up thinking about it too much.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Zoe, this means a lot ❤

2. Sarah says:

When I was choosing my recently rebranded shop name, I wanted to go for something that wasn’t too specific, not to put myself into a pigeon hole that would restrict me in future, so I completely understand your thoughts. Alice in Scandliand does roll off the tongue easily, but maybe jot down some other potential ideas…see if anything feels right?

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks lovely, I think I would be sad to rename, so perhaps I should stay the course and see how I feel in the new year.

3. Abi Hiskey says:

I found your page because I was specifically researching Scandi decor for the home we’ll be moving to in the new year. I love your blog and I haven’t once thought, ‘well that’s not very Scandi’ (the thing I set out to find). I see a lovely mix of Scandi influences, retro loveliness and generally great style. Don’t fret over it, your references to Scandi style are enough to warrant the name, I love it x

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks lovely, that’s very kind of you to say. Good luck for the move to come ❤

4. Jane says:

I think the fact that it’s been in your mind suggests you might like to change your name to something new – perhaps a name that’ll last for years to come without being aligned to a trend or specific style. Have you ever thought about using your whole name? That way, you’d be free to evolve as ‘you’ and grow into whatever direction you choose. Just an idea! Xx

Liked by 1 person

1. But if I changed it and someone else took it up then I would be sad I think, so who knows what I want?! I’m not overly keen on my name either! My next best thing would be The House That Alice Built, but those that I’ve told haven’t been that into it! Thanks for taking the time to comment though Jane. ❤

5. magdasmummy says:

I love your blog and the name. 🙌

Liked by 1 person

6. Jane Wheeler says:

Don’t stress Alice, it’s a natural feeling. When you begin thinking of a business name it’s so difficult to think of a word or collection of words that encapsulates what it is you feel, you want to sell, your style, your ethos; and all this to stand the test of time. It’s not easy. Go with what you have and where you are and don’t overthink, something will settle on you and the word will feel right.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you lovely, I think I will stick with it and see what happens in the new year. I hope you’re all well and that Otis was super happy to see you when you got home from your travels ❤

7. Julia says:

I like the name. I understand what you mean though – it can be tricky when a style becomes ubiquitous – but I think you have a strong sense of your own style, which always supersedes fashion trends in my experience – good design doesn’t date. I’d go with your instinct to sit with it for a while.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Julia, I think that’s the realisation I have come to this evening and I really appreciate your kind words ❤

8. upgradesign says:

Paying attention to details while keeping in mind overall ambiance seems quite Scandi to me. I for one am glad you named your blog Alice in Scandiland, it’s too appealing to not check out.

Liked by 1 person

1. Ha, thank you. I’ve had lots of support and positive words about the name this evening ❤

9. Jill says:

I understand why you’re mulling this over, but I think the the play on “Wonderland “- such a fabulously unpredictable world, allows you a measure of eclecticism with your own “Scandiland”. It’s a great name xx

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Jill, I think that is the overall consensus so I will factor it into any further thoughts of mine about it x